Do you soup all year long? I do! I have a few favorites that I make and my daughter makes some good ones too. Soup is an easy and economical way to get a healthy meal on the table.
Soup is versatile enough to stand alone or as a side. This Lima Bean & Couscous soup was a family hit. Everyone loved it. It is so tasty and is loaded with good for you ingredients.
Supposedly, souping is the new juicing or maybe it’s old. Don’t know. Nutrition fads come and good but good ole soup has been around for centuries.
With this recipe (truthfully, with all my recipes) I like short cuts…working smarter not harder. In the recipe I have included my short cuts like using mirapoix. Love that stuff. Chopping whole vegetables is way cheaper, but if you are in a hurry it’s worth the splurge.
How many of you use bone broth? Bone broth is basically stock. You use the meat and bones and cook it for a mad long. (No I ain’t got no time for that…for sure.) There are many organic brands out there that you can find in the grocery store.
I do source mine from two local vendors who sell at the local farmers market. When you buy from the farmers market you get the chance to chat with the maker. You can ask all those burning questions you may have.
The Lima Bean & Couscous soup is chock full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber. Also, that awesome substance called collagen…thank you bone broth.
When you are cooking maximize those nutrients. Pack in as much nutrition as you can! So here is to meatless Monday or any day that soup is on the menu.
If you make this tag me on instagram @maryrose_and_thyme.
What is you favorite soup? Let me know in the comments below.
Lima Bean & Couscous Soup
Servings 8 (one cup )
Prep 10 minutes
1 onion, diced
4 carrots, chopped*
2 garlic cloves chopped
6 stalks celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
One tablespoon of butter
½ small cabbage cut in slivers
1 cup of lima beans*
1 medium potato
½ cup Pearl Couscous
2 cups of shredded spinach
2- 32oz Low Sodium Chicken Broth*
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter and add onions, carrots, garlic and celery. Sauté until vegetables are translucent. Add cabbage, potato and lima beans. Stir
- Pour the two containers of broth over the veggies in the Dutch oven.
- Over medium heat bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add Pearl Couscous and spinach. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with a piece of your favorite crusty bread and top with shaved Parmesan cheese! Enjoy!
- Short cut: You can use 2 cups Mirapoix. For the lima bean, I used frozen. If you are using dried Lima beans soak them overnight. For the broth, you can use anything you like! Vegetable, Chicken, water, or bone broth
Note: To cool, place hot soup in smaller containers. Then place the containers while they a still hot in the refrigerator.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cover with broth. Cook on high for 2 hours, and then switch to low for 6 hours or cook on automatic for 7 hours.
Nutrition: Calorie 163, Protein 5g, Fat o.65g, Carb 25g, Fiber 7g, Sugar 6g, Sodium 77g