I love a homemade soup. It is the ultimate comfort food. It always tastes fresher when someone takes the time to add each ingredient to create something amazing. I usually share this with my family. Everyone goes home with a couple of containers of soup.
Who doesn’t love coming home from a crazy day and pulling out the soup that your friend/loved one made. So good. My recipe is for you to enjoy and I hope it nourishes you. I hope you share the love.
If you make this tag me on instagram @maryroseandthyme and hashtag with #maryroseandthyme.
Health and Healing,
2 cans Cannellini beans (if using dried beans soak overnight in water or broth)
One cup of onion, ½ cup celery and ½ cup of carrots (note I used 1 lb. of mirapoix)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 – 32oz containers of a no salt chicken or vegetable broth (you can use water)
Ham with bone in (I do remove some of the meat and add it to the soup)
2 Cans tomato sauce
- Chop celery, onions and carrots. (or just add the mirapoix) Add olive oil to a Dutch oven or other large pot.
- Sauté the vegetable mix until it softens and onion is transparent. Pepper to taste.
- Place the ham with bone in pot.
- Add the tomato sauce and beans. (If using can, add the liquid, too.)
- Pour the broth into the pot and cover the ham bone. (or add enough water to cover the ham bone.)
- Keep covered until a simmer. Then tilt cover to let steam out.
- Let simmer at least two-three hours.
Please note this is a very forgiving recipe. Portions don’t need to be exact.